The belief system behind Chinese medicine used to treat dermatological conditions is that the majority of skin diseases stem from internal imbalances. This means that our skin needs to heal from the inside out and that the treatment needs to match this perspective. For thousands of years Doctors of Chinese medicine have thus relied on herbal teas, custom made for the individual, as the primary method for healing the skin. Modern research confirms that this ancient practice is both safe and effective; offering long-term remission after the treatment is stopped. Chinese medicine also uses topical treatments as well, to support the treatment and to assist in alleviating some of the symptoms related to skin issues.
Kim began studying Chinese Medicine Dermatology with Mazin Al-Khafaji in 2014 and completed his Dermatology Diploma Course which was offered in the United States for the first time. Mazin is recognized as the leading expert in the field of dermatology and Chinese Medicine. After passing an intensive board exam, Kim is now amongst an esteemed group of practitioners in the internationally accredited Register of Chinese Medicine Dermatology. Kim also is trained and certified to do Facial Rejuvenation acupuncture, a modality using a holistic approach to looking and feeling younger and more vibrant.
EXAMPLES OF CONDITIONS TREATED:
Some of the skin conditions successfully treated include, but are not limited to:
- Alopecia Areata
- Dermatitis / Eczema (atopic, contact, nummular, perioral, pompholyx, seborrheic, etc)
- Herpes Simplex
- Herpes Zoster / Shingles
- Insect Bites
- Lichen Planus
- Lichen Simplex
- Pityriasis Rosea
- Viral Warts
Fertility has become a special passion for Kim in her practice. There is nothing like the joy of being a part of someone's journey to help them grow their family. Whether you are seeking acupuncture and herbs to enhance fertility naturally or are using acupuncture as an adjunct treatment to increase the success rates of IVF or IUI, Kim can assist her patients by providing integrative treatment, utilizing the wisdom of Chinese Medicine along with all that modern medicine has to offer, to increase your success rate significantly.
It is essential that those planning a pregnancy optimize their health and well being for the best possible fertility outcomes. Preconception health care is more important than ever as the prevalence of fertility issues become more complex, for a variety of reasons, and as it lays the foundation for preparing the mind, body, and spirit of parents for an optimal pregnancy and birth.
Cultivating reproductive energies through acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition, and lifestyle practices are effective in addressing a number of factors related to fertility including, but is not limited to:
- Unexplained fertility
- Advanced Maternal Age
- Diminished ovarian reserve
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Endometriosis, PCOS, Fibroids, Ovarian cysts
- Ovulation disorders
- Irregular Menstrual cycles
- Luteal phase defects
- Sperm dysfunction (motility, count, morphology)
- Poor egg quality
Not only does Kim enjoy working with fertility, she loves treating women throughout their pregnancy, as they prepare for labor and delivery, and postpartum.
INTEGRATIVE MENTAL HEALTH
Chinese medicine approach to mental health:
Chinese medicine views the "spirit" or "mind", referred to as the Shen, as an integral part of our health and our well being. Shen is a term that embodies our vitality, consciousness, emotions, and thoughts. Cultivation of our Shen is considered essential for our overall health and wellbeing. When we experience a disharmony of Shen, it often manifests itself as anxiety, insomnia, foggy thinking, forgetfulness, chronic restlessness and other mental health conditions, including depression, mania, and various types of addiction. Through the use of acupuncture and herbs, the Shen can be strengthened and harmonized. Not only can acupuncture and Oriental medicine alleviate symptoms associated with mental health issues, it can treat the root cause of the problem by helping to rebalance the body's internal environment.
Who would benefit from Chinese medicine treatment:
We must all occasionally deal with major upheavals or emotional distress at some points in our lives. These events can trigger a host of unexpected feelings and behaviors from depression, anxiety, and panic attacks to major disruptions in sleep and eating. Wether you have been dealing with symptoms due to a life event or if you have been dealing with a long term mental health issue, acupuncture and Chinese Medicine can treat many of these symptoms as it recognizes how the mind and body are intertwined.
Acupuncture and herbs could benefit you if you are experiencing any of the following:
- You are struggling but do not want to try prescription medications at this time
- You have found medication to be beneficial and you have some residual symptoms remaining
- You are seeking relief while medications are reaching therapeutic levels
- You are on medications that are working but you have side effects from your medications
- You are experiencing an increase in symptoms
- You are having other symptoms that are distressing to you, such as: IBS or other digestive symptoms, pain management, sleep disturbances, poor memory, etc
- You are having difficulty with stress management
Research has shown that acupuncture can help to alleviate the symptoms related to anxiety, depression, PTSD, and can improve sleep disruptions, digestive symptoms, and pain management as well as many other symptoms. While working as a therapist, Kim saw first hand the improvement that patients had when they received acupuncture in conjunction with traditional western treatment modalities.
Specialized training and Background:
As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, with almost 20 years of experience in assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of various mental health issues, it provides Kim the unique skill set to treat mental health conditions with a high level of competence. It also gives her the utmost respect for the need to work collaboratively and to support the treatment given by other providers. As an acupuncturist, she integrates Chinese medicine in treating mental health conditions to provide the highest quality of care.
- Conditions include but are not limited to:
- Anxiety disorders
- Mood disorders
- Eating disorders
- Alcohol/drug abuse or dependence
- Adjustment disorders (symptoms due to a life event)
- Issues related to grief, stress management, anger management, self mutilation, sleep disorders, pain management.
Kim has advanced clinical training in integrative acupuncture orthopedics, utilizing a variety of techniques for a multitude of acute and chronic pain conditions. She specializes in the treatment of orthopedic acupuncture for sports injury, traumatic injury, neuromuscular pain, and repetitive strain. Acupuncture can help with a multitude of orthopedic conditions including, but not limited to:
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Degenerative conditions
- LIgament strain & sprain
- Muscle tension & spasm
- Oncogenic pain
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Post-operative pain
- Repetitive strain injury
- Sprain & strain
- Tendonitis & tendonosis
- Headaches (migrain, tension, hormonal, etc)
Modalities used include:
- Trigger Point Therapy (Dry Needling)
- Manual Therapy (Cupping, Gua Sha, Etc)
- Herbal Medicine
- Dietary Counseling
- Self Care & Exercise Guidance
- Acupuncture Point Injection Therapy
Internal Medicine focuses on the prevention and treatment of conditions that impact the various systems of our physical health. This can include common conditions we all experience, such as the common cold & flu, allergies, & digestive complaints to more complex conditions that lead to chronic dis-ease. Kim takes an integrative approach to treating internal medicine conditions using acupuncture, herbs, and supplements to treat the root of the condition to strive for the point of balance that leads to lasting results in health and wellness.
Acupuncture Point Injection Therapy (APIT):
Kim now offers Acupuncture Point Injection Therapy which allows her to inject vitamins and homeopathic remedies into acupuncture points to further enhance the benefits of treatment. By Injecting vitamins and homeopathic remedies, we have a much larger amount available to our bodies to be used. When we take supplements, medications, homeopathics, and herbs orally, our liver kicks in to do its job of trying to metabolize and eliminate these substances from our bodies. This process greatly reduces the amount of the supplement that will be available to us to be absorbed as it then gets eliminated from the body. This process is called “first pass effect”. By using APIT, the injections bypass the first pass effect, which allows us to absorb a greater amount of the vitamin or homeopathic remedy.
Injectables that Kim currently has available:
- Vitamin B12 (Methylated)
- Facial Injections (Guna Made)
- Traumeel: Pain, trigger points, sprains, joint dysfunction, and inflammation
- Zeel: Bone fractures, slow healing bones, bone pain, degenerative arthritis, spinal conditions, joint stiffness
- Spascupreel: Muscle cramps and spasms in organs such as stomach, gallbladder, uterus, urinary tract, as well as painful periods, muscle spasms, and fibromyalgia.
- Engystol: Colds, flu, viruses, fever. Protocol can be used like a flu vaccine.
- Arnica: Muscle pain, bruising, swelling
- Calmvalera: Restlessness, sleep disorders/insomnia, depression, mental exhaustion
- Lymphaden: Swollen lymph nodes, lymphatic edema, lymph conditions
- Gelsemium: Painful nerve conditions (i.e. postherpatic neuralgia, trigeminal neuralgia, sciatica, etc)